Monday, April 16, 2012

New tread for taking daughter to NYC

After one month of doing research and agonizing over where to stay and save money, I overwhelmed myself with names of hotels swirling in my mind- Today I booked reservations at the Crown Plaza in Time Square. The pressure to decide and with hotels getting booked and filled.The week is March 25-April;1st I did it!





The deciding factor was that the Crown Plaza has a wonderful indoor swimming pool and my daughter loves swimming.





I probably over paid or just I%26#39;m cheap-the final cost was $2600 including air fare, hotel and shuttle to hotel. I did not include cancel insurance. I hope I dont live to regret it.





Your guys think I did good or did I messed up? I consider price line but the date was closing in and my wife was panicking.



New tread for taking daughter to NYC


HI!



I don%26#39;t know anything about the hotel or if you got a really good deal or not. But, who cares? It is Easter week so it will be fairly busy - probably no really special deals. If the reviews were good and it has a pool which your daughter will love, then I%26#39;m sure it will be fine. You won%26#39;t spend all that much time there anyway. Sometimes a person (including myself) can go crazy over all the options.



How exciting to be able to go on such a great trip with your family. If you%26#39;ve gone ahead and booked,now you can spend your time planning the fun stuff! No sense worrying....just enjoy your trip!



:-) Have fun!



New tread for taking daughter to NYC


You could have done worse! You%26#39;ll be fine...esp. since you wont%26#39; be spending that much time in the hotel. The only problem with Times Square is that it%26#39;s so crowded with tourists, so the challenge is to get up and get out of the area after you%26#39;ve seen the Times Square scene! Check out the United Nations, the South Street Seaport, Wall Street and Battery Park (take the Staten Island ferry round trip for great views from the water), Greenwich village/New York University scene (your daughter will love this if she%26#39;s between 16 and 26), Lincoln Center, ';Museum Mile'; --anchored by the must-see Metropolitan Museum of Art.





Of course you overpaid! Everybody overpays! But hey, you%26#39;re on VACATION! (I%26#39;m a lifelong New Yorker and just paid the ridiculous usurious price on e-bay of $300 for two tickets to see the Billy Crystal show--all tickets were sold out as soon as they went on sale. A total ripoff, but hey, I WANTED TO SEE IT!)




I just wanted to let you know that I know exactly how you feel. My family will be in NY this Wednesday and I was agonizing over where to stay also. I looked at each hotel, compared, read reviews, changed my mind a thousand times. I%26#39;m sure I overpaid too but I just decided on the DoubleTree. It%26#39;s right on Broadway and seemed to be what we were looking for.



People say that you don%26#39;t stay in the room much so not to worry about it but I don%26#39;t agree with that. We%26#39;ll be sleeping there every night and with kids, sometimes you can%26#39;t stay out until 2 am. We may very well be back in our room by 9 o%26#39;clock. So, the hotel was important to me and like you, I also looked at the Crown Plaza. The pool was a big selling point and that was one of my top choices.



What finally did it for the DoubleTree was that a friend of mine works for Hilton and recommended it. I do know how you feel about the expense but I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ll have a great time! And don%26#39;t feel bad about booking something pricey. I%26#39;m sure it%26#39;ll be worth it!




Thanks guys. Like you said now start planning the vacation. My daughter who is 10 loves the show , the Apprentice so that first on the agenda-Trump towers. We want to see the Lion king on broadway , after that anything goes.




Stingray, have you looked into the American Girl store for your daughter? I am bringing my 11 year old daughter at Easter and she%26#39;s most looking forward to this. They have a cafe, a show, shopping...www.americangirl.com




Just to let you know - the Doubletree isn%26#39;t %26#39;right on Broadway%26#39; unless they have two in New York? Its on East 50th street. I know coz we used it as a landmark to our hotel (Affina 50 which is just round the corner) the first few days of our stay. If I remember rightly its on Lexington. You may class this as %26#39;Broadway%26#39; though, but I just thought I should point it out!




Angeluk -- the Doubletree is most definitely on Broadway, at 47th Street... smack dab in Times Square. There%26#39;s another on the east side, which is probably the one you saw.





Singray, the American Girl store is a MUST!!! And, though it%26#39;s a personal preference, I liked ';Beauty and the Beast'; much more than ';The Lion King.'; Buy your discounted tickets in advance through www.broadwaybox.com.





The Crowne Plaza is fine, but you should confirm that their pool will be open. It wasn%26#39;t for quite a while.




The Build a Bear workshop near Rockerfeller centre will be a good place to go if you don%26#39;t have one near you.





Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment