Tuesday, April 24, 2012

1st trip/ Which area?

I%26#39;m taking my 16 yr. old son to New York in April and originally was looking for hotel in Times square area but have heard a lot of talk of Upper West Side and could use advice. Our adventures will be taking us all over so I dont have to be in square. Just want a nice hotel and access to subway and good eats. Thanx for any help. P.S..... would also love to hear more of people%26#39;s experience with Priceline.



1st trip/ Which area?


I%26#39;ve stayed in midtown a few times and last year stayed on the UWS. I much preferred this area. Transport links are great, and if you gat a metrocard, it costs next to nothing. Lots of restaurants around. I%26#39;d opt for there.



1st trip/ Which area?


Hi





My wife and I went to NYC in July last year. We stayed at Hotel Thirty Thirty in midtown and was pretty pleased with that. I have posted out experience in a trip report with pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there :-)





Regards



Gard




You%26#39;ll have a great experience just about anywhere you stay in NYC, but you%26#39;re sure to have a blast if you stay on the Upper West Side. It%26#39;s not touristy like Times Square, but there%26#39;s a lot to explore, and many good restaurants and shops all around. Not an abundance of hotels in the neighborhood, but some include On The Ave (ignore the bad reviews - I%26#39;ve stayed there twice and have had a wonderful time), Belleclaire, and the Beacon. There are a few others, but these are the ones that I%26#39;m familiar with.




In addition to those, compare the Milburn, Newton, Lucerne, Excelsior.




For a first trip I would recommend Midtown. The Algonquin is a nice choice. Call the hotel to negotiate the best rate. Hotels will always beat internet offers if you call direct.

No comments:

Post a Comment