Friday, April 27, 2012

your advice please

Me and my brother are coming to new york on the 21 april. We can%26#39;t wait. we are staying at the hotel pennsylvania and after reading reports found it to very mixed, but a new forum has eased me about it thankfully. i was looking for a good steak house to try, i looked at a site for uncle jacks and was woundering if it was a good a it looks or if you can recommend any other ones. i found this pages the best, better than any guide, picked up the best tips here about everything. Thank you.



your advice please


Hi





My wife and I went to a place called the Strip House. This is a steak house but it was not like other steak houses I have been to in the USA. The Strip House was more formal and more expensive compared to other steak houses that I have been to but it was a good experience. I have posted a trip report with pictures from my trip to NYC in July 2004 on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there :-)





Regards



Gard



your advice please


ok, so the hotel pennsylvania: i%26#39;ve had many friends stay there and while it%26#39;s not the ritz, it is very centrally located and the price is right and the rooms are fine, so don%26#39;t worry. if its your first time to ny i can%26#39;t imagine you%26#39;ll be spending much time in your hotel anyway. ok, so steakhouses: there are many many good ones--i have not heard of uncle jacks and I am a steak lover so that makes me nervous... the ones over the 8 years I%26#39;ve lived here that I think are the best are these (and this includes ambiance as well) Peter Luger%26#39;s In Brooklyn (a very very short subway or cab ride away) is i think the most famous/best. Then I%26#39;d say Keene%26#39;s Chop House (midtown) the Strip House (greenwich village) Dylan Prime (tribeca), Old Homestead (meatpacking district). There are many others, but these are our favorites. Check citysearch.com or zagats.com because they range in price and some are sort of expensive--but if you are a steak lover it%26#39;s totally worth it to splurge (I think) Enjoy!




Uncle Jack%26#39;s is excellent, but unless they%26#39;ve opened a branch in Manhattan, the only one I know of is in Bayside, Queens, quite a trip. Considering where you%26#39;re staying, I%26#39;d recommend Keen%26#39;s Steak %26amp; Chop House, 74 West 36th. In addition to fine steaks, they also have the world%26#39;s largest collection of Meerschaum pipes--all attached to the ceiling. This is a real man%26#39;s place and you%26#39;ll enjoy it. Old Homestead is excellent as well but very, very expensive, even by New York standards.




Oh, right--All the ones I suggested are in neighborhoods in Manhattan (except Peter Luger%26#39;s which is very close in Brooklyn), I should%26#39;ve mentioned...




thank you all i will give these a try. may have more questions later.

No comments:

Post a Comment