Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Taking pictures

Were coming in early may,and its going to be our first visit in NYC. I锟斤拷m really looking forward to this and i锟斤拷m counting the days : )





One of my interests is photograhy, and i锟斤拷m going to bring my



digital and 135 film cameras and hope i锟斤拷ll get some great pictures taken. Is there any ';DO锟斤拷s and DON锟斤拷Ts'; regarding taking pictures of people and buildings in Manhattan?





Finally i would like to thank you all for a usefull and great forum



We changed our hotel bookings thanks to this, and got ourselves a better hotel to stay in.



Taking pictures


Just use common sense and be courteous -- don%26#39;t take pictures of people without their consent. Of course, if you take a picture of a crowd of people, I%26#39;m sure that%26#39;d be o.k.





I keep hearing that it may soon be illegal to take photographs in the subway, but until that silly law is enacted, take all the pictures you want... again, be careful not to just point the camera at a stranger.





Pick up a copy of Time Out New York to see if there are any photo exhibits on while you%26#39;re here. I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;d enjoy the ICP (International Center of Photography) as well.



Taking pictures


Many thanks for your answer Bettina..



I usually dont take pictures of people without their



permission..so there should be no problems.



I think it s important to show respect.





About taking photos of buildings..I read a review from



a guy here in Sweden visiting NYC, he was told by a policeofficer that taking pictures of federal buildings



is prohibited. Is that true? I dont want to break any law



that im unawared of.




I don%26#39;t know about taking pictures of federal buildings (and I%26#39;m not aware of federal buildings in NYC other than the post offices) but I can tell you that I%26#39;ve been harrassed taking pictures of normal interesting-looking buildings here even though it%26#39;s entirely legal. The city is still sometimes uncomfortable with security-type issues.




Your can%26#39;t take pictures in most Broadway theaters during performances. You won%26#39;t have a problem taking photos of buildings. Anybody who tries to stop you is just a pain in the rear attempting to throw his weight around. Wait until he leaves and take your picture.





Since you%26#39;re from Sweden, according to your posting address, just in case you require some great home cooking, you should know there%26#39;s a wonderful Scandinavian restaurant in New York City called Aquavit. Chef is Marcus Samuelsson. Expensive but wonderful food. Recently changed locations to a new spot on East 55th.




Ruffian, I don%26#39;t think you can take pictures in Broadway theaters even when it%26#39;s not during a performance! I was reprimanded by an usher for taking a shot of the inside of the theater before 42nd St. started. Not sure what all the fuss was about, and the picture didn%26#39;t turn out well anyway!




Hi..thanks for all advises.. Im familiar with Aquavit.


Marcus had a homecooking program broadcasted from NY on


swedish TV4 channel. Maybe we ll check his place out.. He s a great chef ,but i m more curious about what the American foods has to offer. Any typical american restaurants you would recommend? I m travelling with my wife and 2 kids age 13 and 11.



Thanks again..really appreciate your answers.




Just back had no probs with taking pictures anywhere except in China Town, wanted to take picture of a bucket of frogs being sold for 3 dolars a pound (good comic value) but was very politly asked not to by the shop owner (I assume they were being polite as I speek no chinese!) I guess they thought my intentions were something other than they were.




Taking pictures in subway is not illegal, but it does not mean you will not be stopped by a police. They will not arrest you, just ask some questions about who you are, where you are from, why are you taking these pictures, they will take a look at your pictures (if it%26#39;s a digital camera) and let you go. So if you want to avoid a headache make sure there is no police around when you are taking pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment