Friday, March 30, 2012

subways and safety??

We are planning our first trip to NYC and I was wondering if anyone knows how much it costs to do the subways, and also are they safe for the most part? Is there any neighborhoods in Manhatten where you should NOT be at night??

subways and safety??

If you are going to be in New York for more than four days, there%26#39;s a weekly subway metro card which I believe costs about $21. On a per ride basis, the subway costs $2 per person regardless of the length of the trip. So if you%26#39;re going from the bottom of Brooklyn to the top of the Bronx, it%26#39;s the same $2 as if you were going one stop from 34th St. to 42nd St.

Yes, the subways are quite safe. There are a few areas I would not go to at night...but there%26#39;s simply no reason for you to ever go to those areas since there%26#39;s not much there. Trust me, if you%26#39;re like most tourists, you%26#39;ll never see those areas so you don%26#39;t have to be concerned about safety.

Remember...New York City is THE safest big city in the U.S. In fact, most of our crimes are committed by tourists from Indianapolis, so we%26#39;re very concerned about you. (Just kidding. They%26#39;re committed by tourists from Atlanta.).

Get yourself a subway map. The system is easy to use and saves you the cost of cabs everywhere. Have a great time.

subways and safety??

As a visitor not a native of NY, I can vouch for what Ruffian 42 has to say about the subway, it is totally safe and easy to use, dont let the idea of it put you off, its a great way to get around the city.


Just got back from our trip and my 13 year old and I took the subway almost everywhere. We felt very safe, but just a couple of precautions, Number 1, do not let anyone help you swipe the metro card thru the machine for you, they may just do a switcheroo and you will end up with an expired card. I know because it happened to us. Number 2, Always know your route before you enter the subway, this will save you a lot of time. Some subways only run at particular times so check that out as well. You will find that Manhattan is busy at all hours and there are many many tourists just like ourselves who need some guidance. The locals are great and in my experience they proved always helpful.


Ruffian%26#39;s right. It%26#39;s safe on the subway. I would take a little more care riding it after 9 or 10pm, but only because at night in ANY city I think people should just be a little more cautious. Generally, if there are lots of people around (and in Manhattan there tends to be) you%26#39;re pretty safe.


I use the subways when I want to get from one place to another fast. Otherwise, I use buses during the day because I like to look around. After dark I always use taxis unless where I%26#39;m going is close enough to walk. Manhattan feels very safe to me.

  • online business and trading
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment