Friday, March 30, 2012

Hey Mistress! Venues for live music?

Mistress, I have followed your postings and think you%26#39;d be the best to advise me and my out of town guests (who I am pretty much posting this for) about which music venues to go to for indie bands in manhattan. I have my own list which I think will probably mirror yours, but I just wanted to see your list anyway.

many thanks in advance.

Hey Mistress! Venues for live music?

I%26#39;m not ';Mistress';--the last time I looked!--but you may want to check out Kenny%26#39;s Castaways and the Rock and Roll cafe in Greenwich Village, and Irving Place in Gramercy park.

Hey Mistress! Venues for live music?

Get yourself a copy of Time Out NY, they have great listings.


Here%26#39;s where I go: Bowery Ballroom, Mercury Lounge, Irving Plaza (sometimes the shows here are a little larger scale--but NOTHING like the Garden), Webster Hall (for the last few years has been this cheesy dance club space but recently Bowery Ballroom%26#39;s booking agent took over and now it%26#39;s a worthy venue to see indie bands again), Sin-e, Tonic,Tribeca Rock Club. The Knitting Factory gets goods gigs but I just don%26#39;t like the space. Then over in Brooklyn where lots of the CMJ-ish type bands have been playing in the last few years: SouthPaw, Northsix, Pete%26#39;s Candy Store. And one in Hoboken: Maxwell%26#39;s. There%26#39;s always Arlene Grocery and the Continental but the bands are much smaller and it%26#39;s not like Mercury where even if you just drop by you%26#39;re pretty much guarnteed to like at least one of the bands you%26#39;ll see on any given night. Hope that helps, and I wonder if it, in fact, does mirror your list...


Misrtess....a group I know (The Futureheads) were playing the Bowery Ballroom on Tuesday. I%26#39;ve tried to find a review of their performance , but no luck. You wouldn%26#39;t happen to know of a site would you ? Thanks.


and I just noticed I mis-spelled your name...sorry!


this website is bloody excellent...

http://www.ohmyrockness.com/

lists all indie rock shows upcoming in NY


oo I see Southpaw is on Mistress%26#39;s list, if your goin to be in Brookyln I can reccomend it, I seen Radio4 there on my last visit - www.spsounds.com

The Secret Machines are playin the Irving Plaza Saturday 5th March...dunno if that%26#39;s when ur gunna be there but I am, hee hee cannae wait x...

have fun!


I don%26#39;t know of any really good site with up to date reviews of NY shows. Sometimes people write them on pollstar.com and pitchforkmedia.com. Also nyrock.com maybe you could try. Or woxy.com has a message board where people sometimes post reviews. Beyond that the Village Voice...? Sorry I can%26#39;t be of more help, I would LOVE to know of a website with reviews! And I LOOOOVE the Futureheads!


Hey Mistress, do you know of any decent bars beside the Irving Plaza?

I would be greatful of any of your reccomendations as it seems we both have great taste in music...as does VillageGal


Mistress...you like the Futureheads? They%26#39;re from my home town, and my daughter used to go out with Jaff...what a lovely young man he is. Ross is a friend of hers as well, and he%26#39;s so nice. I%26#39;m sure just the same can be said of Dave and Barry, but I don%26#39;t know them (although my daughter does as they used to go to the same school) They are a good band

  • designs on your real nails
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment